Wednesday, May 13, 2009

05/13/09 - Star Trek, or something...

photo-77Ooh, writer’s block. My mind has been empty this entire week.  I know the solution is always “start writing”, but I feel I have nothing to say.  A house full of sick kids and adults has left me worn out.  Myself?  I’m ok.  But usually, I’m a night owl.  Lately I can’t stay up much past 9:00.

We saw Star Trek last Friday.  If it weren’t for that brief diversion, I’d be much grumpier right now.  I love a night at the cinema.  It helped tremendously that the movie was good, too.  I’d never been disappointed by the previous Trek movies, but I’d rarely been particularly impressed, either.  A few of them wowed me, First Contact being the one that pops into my mind first.

It doesn’t matter.  I’m enamored with the idealistic future of Star Trek.  Not the technology, though that’s all well and good.  Who wouldn’t love the idea of forgoing the 13 hour drive to Utah for a little transporter action?  That’s a story for a different day, I think.

No, the future I speak of is how those from Earth ended up as a human race.  An entire people brought together not entirely because of the threat of annihilation, but because of the cause of discovery and exploration.  Contact outside of the inky blackness of space caused us to wake from our apathetic and self-absorbed nature.  It’s cliche, but those in the Trek future found out that they were not alone, and that was the reason to reach for something better.

The wife was shocked, and still a little unbelieving, to hear my confession that Star Trek, not Star Wars, is my favorite set of Sci-Fi flicks.  I tried to explain why; Star Wars is fun and vast, but it holds no ties to mother Earth.  It’s very separate and  it allows for a great diversion, but it doesn’t make me think (and hope) like Trek does.

I don’t learn heavily toward the majority of my religious culture. Being Mormon, we are taught to hope toward the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, which I truly believe in and look forward to.  I have a feeling, however; that some of my faith look to every current event as a sign of doom and destruction, and I’ve never found that a deeply satisfying outlook on life.

Some may argue that it is a sign of weak faith on my part, or a misplaced love of this world that makes me believe that the human race shouldn’t be on a one-way collision course with doom.  Call me crazy for wanting to believe that we should pull ourselves out of any tailspin that we find ourselves in.  Call me naive because I believe that a common cause, such as discovering the space beyond our own, could firmly and finally bring us together.  You can call me those things, only because I’m pulled both ways and have been taught that this cannot not be our final ordination.

Thought about a different way, I know that the final cleansing of Earth does not mark the end of human existence.  I know that, as immortal beings, we will continue to learn and grow and have the vast treasures of the universe unlocked and unfolded before our very eyes.  This brings me great joy to think about, more-so than the vain hope that alone we humans may finally figure out how to be civil to one another.

I do look up at the night sky every now and again, and I do see God working.  I know this is his creation, and I believe in the scientific nature and order of it.  I wish I had a telescope that could show me the heavens as they are now; it baffles my mind that the light I see in the sky predates my own existence my millions of years.

I have no idea how a story about a night out to the movies turned into a religious and philosophical meditative drama, but there we have it.  That’s why I like Star Trek more than Star Wars.  It makes me think.  I don’t like taking things for granted.

And look at that. I started writing, and the words finally came.  They may not have made sense to you, but I had a great time putting them on the screen.

1 comment:

Perhaps ....we see said...

Quite frankly I am still trying to shake the awkward feeling I have about the entire Uhura and Spock thing. ~ Trek over Wars for sure ~